Sunday, October 4, 2009

"The Magic Hat" by Mem Fox


It took me longer to get to this than I meant too. My children and I are going to be picking a book of the day each day and hopefully we'll (or I'll) make the time to post a review of what we thought of it. I wanted them to have their own page online to look at and be proud of. Tonight one of the books we read was The Magic Hat by Mem Fox. This book was new to all of us (although as a teacher I know I've read her books before just not this one). We all loved it.


Summary:

A magic hat blows into a town and as it lands on people's head it changes them into animals until the wizard comes and takes it back and they all change back. When the wizard puts the hat on he changes into a little boy happily walking down a path.


Thoughts:

I love how Fox has portrayed imagination. At the end the boy is walking away with all the magic that we all have, just fail to see sometimes when we get busy during the day with all the little things. My children really enjoyed the rhyming words and predicting which animal would come next based on the rhyme and the rhythm of the book was fun. They were able to read part of it to themselves as well due to the repetition, rhymes and use of sight words in the text. We checked this book our of the library but I can see it making repeat visits to our house. Definitely fun for younger readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment