Monday, October 5, 2009

"The Best Nest" by P.D. Eastman


Although we have a home library in our area there is another library that is actually closer to our house and that I go to more often. Because we need to apply for a library card at the home library and then receive an Access PA sticker to be able to check out books at other Pennsylvania libraries neither of my older children had cards yet. We rarely go to the home library because the children's section is very small and doesn't have much open space to sit and browse while the other library has a big children's area, bean bag chairs, and board books that aren't alphabetized (so they are totally small child friendly). Tonight I took my first grader to our home library so he could sign up for his own card. It was really exciting for me to see him receiving his card and checking out his first non-school library book. Books are such a big thing at our house and I really want to foster a love of not just books but of going to the library.


One of the books we read together was "The Best Nest". It was a fun book to read. The male bird loves the nest he and his wife have but she decides she hates it so they go out looking for a new nest. Each place they find turns out to be unsuitable for one reason or another and they finally end up back at the first nest. I liked how it showed them being dissatisfied with their nest for no reason other than it was old. I think a lot of us replace things that don't actually need to be replaced just because they are old or we are bored of them, when they are still perfectly good. What a good story to give to children and we can hope that some of it sinks in and makes an impression!

1 comment:

  1. Amen I have a 2 year old and I hope over time he "gets" what the books are saying

    ReplyDelete